Thursday, June 2, 2011

"Maybe it is you"

My last post got a very interesting comment.  Essentially the person asked if maybe David's addiction was due to our lack of sex life.  It was almost as if I went back in time and asked myself the question.

There was a time when I thought Sex Addiction only had to do with the act of sex or orgasm.  That if only the Sex Addict wasn't such a disgusting, selfish person they would get over it.  Or if the Sex Addicts girlfriend/boyfriend would just give it up more than the addiction would go away. 

Not sure if anyone remember David Ducovney and his addiction.  This is exactly what I thought and wondered how Tea Leone could stay with him?  After a lot of reading and a lot of professional help I have a different look at this addiction.

Asking a question like that is like saying to someone who is married to an alcoholic "maybe it is your fault...maybe you weren't drunk enough with him.  Maybe if you were drunk more often with him he would not want to be drunk as much."  Since this is a SEX addiction the other person in the relationship is looked at a lot closer and blamed a lot more.  If you found out your wife was addicted to internet shopping you as the husband wouldn't think "if only I was on ebay with her more often!"

It took me a long time but I realize this addiction has nothing to do with me.  He had signs of it before we even met.  I have been an enabler at times but most of the time sex addiction really has nothing to do with sex! 

Working on the co-dependency has been hard.  It is easier with him out of the house.  Not easy.  Just easier.

2 comments:

  1. wow you are pretty stupid...btw my comment was pretty the only comment you dumb skank. you should be glad now that you wont have to keep up with this idiotic blog anymore.

    oh yeah that's right sex isn't natural. its condemned right? its against the law? you should never do it? comparing your situation to celebrities is as low as you can get. celebrities if you haven't noticed are media whores. if you dont understand that then forget it; you are too dense.

    but i'm flattered...my comments have so much weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous. I wish you the best in the recovery for your problems. All I can do is work on myself. Hope you keep reading and looking and find what it is you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete