Thursday, December 16, 2010

Baby Steps

David and I talked through our fight last night.  He has a way where he doesn't apologize but acts really nice and almost childlike to get me to warm back up to him.  Didn't quite work this time and I waited until I heard the full "I'm sorry."

Some things discussed-
*he needs to reaffirm to me that he is serious about recovery.
*If I ask him to not sleep in our bed he needs to respect it.
*He needs to give me 5 non sexual hugs a day (hugs not going anywhere).
*He needs to set up his voicemail on his work phone so if I am mad I can call and leave a message rather then it going through his companies email. 
*I need to remember that we can't fix everything in a month and we are making progress
*I should help give David small goals that he feels are attainable (go to the SAA meeting and church) rather then expect him to manage everything.  He has a problem and needs help and support too
*He needs to NEVER say "You need to calm down" or any variant ever again. EVER.
*I need to remember that due to his childhood he has very negative ideas of psychiatry.  Agreeing to go is a big step.

I know he was at fault but I am seeing glimmers of the man he was when we met and first married.  When he would share everything with me.  This addiction caused secrets and guilt and resentment for years.  I can look back now and see the signs and symptoms but without the truth that we are working on there was nothing I could do to help him. 

Before all these horrible secrets came out I would not look forward to seeing him.  He was always grouchy and sensitive about everything.  Now I feel we are both happy to see each other. 

Strange...even though I know he did horrible things...I see more of the good person that he is now.  Strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment