Sunday, December 12, 2010

FINALLY!

David has agreed 100% that he needs to see a psychiatrist and get on something for his anxiety and stress management.  I am going to see the doctor for the first time on Tuesday and make sure he can keep the SA aspect of the problem truly confidential.  Doctors in the mental health division have to report a general reason for the visit.  If David has it listed as an addiction (any type) and it somehow gets back to his company his job would be in jeopardy.  And whether we stay together or split up the last thing we need is David to be unemployed. 

His current doctor lists his problem as stress management and I am seeing her under his name so that it is easier to file.  I know everything medical is supposed to be 100% confidential but companies are also not supposed to hire or fire based on age and it happens all the time.  In this economy all it would take is saying there are cut backs and David's job has been eliminated.  Just another delightful thing to worry about in our daily lives.

Back to the good news!  I am so happy that his is seeking more serious treatment than just a counselor.  I like his counselor a lot but David has even said that he thinks she had done all that she can.  She also has recommended that his needs to get on some type of medication for anxiety and stress.  He agreed.  She is also not the kind of doctor that likes to medicate.  When I mentioned I had to go on Effexor for the depression with this situation she expressed sadness that I felt I had to medicate myself to deal with the problem.

For him to agree on his own is a big step.  David's mother has been on heavy medication most of his life due to manic depression that was aggravated by a family tragedy in the early 80's.  It is severe and has led to her being in and out of hospitals, suicide attempts and having to go on disability in her 40's when she could no longer work in the medical field.  David has always seen his mother's attempts with different medications as a crazy and unstable time in his life.  He doesn't even like to take Tylenol if he has a slight headache. 

This is a big step and I am so glad that I am seeing progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment